Sunday, November 17, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

The canvas that I chose to remix was about the changing ideologies of race, culture, and demographics. For my content area, I added a specific element of culture, music-making, to this topic. I thought that this would be a good way to bridge these two different content areas by taking the broader topic of race and culture and choosing one aspect of that to focus on. The original canvas included some additional links about issues of discrimination, which I would explore through musical stereotypes and the political aspects of certain music. In the image gallery of the original canvas, there were several images of people from different cultures. When creating my image gallery, I used pictures of people from different cultures as well, but ones that included their instruments. The original canvas also focused on demographics, and I thought that a good way to explore this through music would be to talk about how the demographics of where you live and the cultures you are exposed to affect your musical choices and awareness. One of the images in my gallery shows the musical preferences of different demographics, which I thought would be an interesting study that combined elements of both units. Overall, my goal with this remixed canvas was to use my content area of music as a way to explore a more specific aspect of culture, race, and demographics, and to use the topic of race and culture to explore different music of the world and how it affects culture.

Link to canvas:
http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2651&mode=view#network6

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting how you remix ideologies of race, culture and demographics into music. It isn't easy to do when working with historical and political information. I haven't looked at the remix, but after reading this, I'm going to look over and explore your work. From me, I can't believe that your using exploration of different music from "specific aspect of culture and race, because I felt that this topic would be hard to use in music content, but you seemed so comfortable with working with this topic. So great job.

    ReplyDelete